Monday, July 22, 2013

Welcome!

This blog is all about family.  To be specific, the Elliott family.  If you didn't know it already, the Elliott's are Scots.  I should clarify, us North American Elliott's are of Scottish descent.  To that end, I paid homage to our heritage by calling this blog Treubh Elliott.  The word, treubh, is Scottish-Gaelic for tribe.  A tribe or clan is a society organized and based on kinship.  It's my intent to rekindle old family relationships and forge new ones within our small society of family.  It's my intent to bring the Elliott's and their extended families closer together by sharing stories, photos, and information about one another as well as our ancestors via this blog.  In addition, this blog will serve as point of reference or act as a bulletin for Elliott family activities and events such as our 2014 Elliott Family Reunion!

Certain elements of this blog are meant to peak the reader's interest in discovering the origins of the Elliott family name and to learn about our Elliott ancestry.   Allow me to point out some of the features I reference.  First, if you'll look to the left margin you'll find the Elliott coat of arms.  A coat of arms has four components; the arms, crest, motto, and the on compartment. Our arms (shield) is distinguished by gules (colors), on a bend or, azure baton.  The crest (the banner atop) reads, "Fortier Et Recte" in Latin, which means "Boldly and Rightly" or "With Strength and Right".  The on compartment (banner at the bottom) reads "Soyez Sage" in Latin, which means "Be Wise".   The Clan Elliott crest badge found displayed in the right margin is distinguished by the clan motto with a hand gripping a cutlass in-bend. The Clan Elliott crest badge is worn by the Clan Chief (the present Clan Elliot Chief is Madam Margaret Elliot of Redheugh, 29th Elliot Clan Chief).  In the background, you'll see the plaid attributed to the Elliott clan.  This plaid pattern (also referred to as a tartan) has been used to represent our family since mid-nineteenth century.  This pattern, as are most clan-related plaids, are used in traditional Scottish dress. These clan symbols have important meaning which I will elaborate on in future posts.  I have also embedded a number of helpful links to sites that that will point you to information about the Elliott family name as well as aid you in your family history efforts if you are so engaged.  Of particular interest to you might be the Clan Elliot Society homepage found at:  www.elliotclan.com.

To further garner interest in this blog but to also demonstrate what I hope is the primary benefit of this site, I've included a photo of John Morgan Elliott in the body of this post (center; Father of Elbert Aaron Elliott who was Father of James Elbert Elliott). In an effort to engage family members I'd like to issue an invitation.  Help me fill in the blanks. John Elliott is identified, but I can't identify anyone else in this photo.  If you can help please share.  If anyone has a story about John Morgan Elliott, I'd love to hear it as well.  You can reply in the comments section associated with this post or you can e-mail me at tim.degraw04@gmail.com.  Together, as we add photos and stories, I hope create a repository of our family's storied history to pass down to generations to come.
 
I look forward to the sharing, collaboration, and discovery I hope is generated through this effort.

Best regards,

Tim De Graw (son of Terri Lee Elliott)  



Note:  It is important to note there are various spellings of the name Elliott (i.e. Eliot, Elliot, etc.).  If you happen to see one of the double "T"s or "L"s dropped when used in this post or future posts, it is intended.  This intriguing topic will most certainly be highlighted in a future post.  Stay tuned.


 

2 comments:

  1. the photo above is of my Grandpa John (my Great-Grandfather John Morgan Elliott) at his house in Prineville, with my Nanny (my Grandmother) Helen Elliott McMeen (John's daughter), my Mother Eunice McMeen Roberts, my sister Darice Roberts, my brother Kimlin Roberts, & myself in the lower corner. my brother was mis-named, my Mother thought she was naming him after Great-Great-Grandfather Kinman! it became a bit of a family joke, but geneology wasn't as serious or precise then as it can be now - my Mother loved family history & was very proud of her Elliott blood.
    - J Elliott
    (i took the name Elliott when i was looking to change my name when i was in my early 20's - i chose it to honor my Nanny, who basically raised me, as well as my Grandpa John, who i knew until he died when i was 8.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello I am your cousin too. I am descended from Kinman Elliott's brother William Elliott killed as a Confederate during the Civil War. The family came to Oregon for a better life after the Civil War which destroyed their way of life as they were living in a border state. Kinman refused to join the Civil War which dismayed his mother as she saw this as cowardice unfortunately as her husband and most of her sons and son-in-laws were fighting for the Confederate States of America. Do you have any photos of Kinman or any of his siblings by chance? I am trying to figure out who is who at Willis Elliott's 100th Birthday photo. My email address is mistyschulz@gmail.com I am still in Oregon. I put flowers on Willis and Polly's grave every year. Mary "Polly" Vanderpool Elliott's brother Medders Vanderpool and other relatives were already in Oregon. Almost the entire family left Missouri in 1867 coming on the Oregon Trail via a new route over the Ochocos near Prineville.
    Misty Schulz

    ReplyDelete